|Full name:||Red Devil|
|Family:||Wes Gardner (father; deceased)|
Sophia Doyle (mother; deceased)
Gigi Caldwell (guardian; deceased)
|Victims:||Melanie Dorkus (survived) |
Agatha Bean (indirectly)
Caulfield Mount Herman
Random Truck Driver
Chanel Oberlin (survived)
Zak, the Pizza Delivery Man
|Boss:||Gigi Caldwell (Mastermind, leader; deceased) |
Hester Ulrich (Deputy, second-in-command)
|Clique:||Red Devil Conspirators|
Skilled with hand held weaponry
|Vulnerabilities:||Limited sight due to cloth covering the eyeholes of the mask. Easily knocked down.|
|Strengths:||Ability to disappear quickly so as not to be followed easily or caught, anonymity.|
|Season(s):||Season One • Two|
|Latest appearance:||Drain the Swamp|
|Portrayed by:||Riley Schmidt (stunt)|
Olga Wilhelmine (stunt)
Paul O'Connor (stunt)
Ilram Choi (stunt)
The Red Devil is the main antagonistic figure in the first season of Scream Queens. The Red Devil was the mascot of Wallace University, until it was later changed to Coney due to its association with the killings on campus. It was revealed in Chainsaw that there were at least two killers, taking orders from the planner, mastermind and leader Gigi Caldwell. The second Red Devil to be revealed was Boone Clemens in Ghost Stories, who was the main muscle of the team, and the third was Pete Martinez in Dorkus. The fourth and last Red Devil revealed was Hester Ulrich in The Final Girls.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Relationships
- 3 Victims
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
- 9 Navigational
The Red Devil first appears in a flashback where Melanie Dorkus, Kappa Kappa Tau's previous president, is preparing for her minions to spray tan her. Her minions began using the spray tan and it suddenly begins burning her skin. Her minions scream and leave the room, as Melanie collapses to the floor. The Red Devil enters the room, revealing that it was him/her who changed the spray tan for hydrochloric acid. Later, Grace Gardner notices that a person in a red devil costume is looking at her and walks to see who it is, but the Red Devil runs before she came to
him/her. After that, Chanel Oberlin finds a "creepy collage" of her in Ms. Bean's room. Unbeknownst to Chanel, Red Devil made the collage and turned the fryer on. When Chanel decided to drown Ms. Bean in the fryer, thinking that it was off, it caused her to suffer from severe burns and eventually die. This makes Chanel #2 scared and want to leave Wallace University. While she is packing her things, the Red Devil enters to her room and closes the door. She gets stabbed in the shoulder and head, causing her death.
At the end of the episode, Chanel #3 and Chanel #5 bury the new pledges up to their heads. Later, Zayday begins to hear noises and the girls realize that something strange is happening, so they start screaming, and since Tiffany is deaf, she doesn't hear them and assumes that they are singing, and starts to 'sing along'. Finally, Tiffany notices the Red Devil coming towards her with a lawnmower and stops singing, and the Red Devil proceeds to mow her head off, pumping his/her fist in accomplishment.
When Grace goes to the basement of the Kappa house to get some soap, it is seen that the Red Devil is hiding looking at her. Later, Pete goes to the Wallace University archives in dean Cathy Munsch's office to get some answers about Kappa's past, when he is looking at the archives and writing some of the names that archives include, Red Devil hits him in the head from behind and later he wakes up tied outside of a building at the campus with a note that says "MYOB", which means "Mind Your Own Business". Subsequently, the Red Devil tries to throw Chanel Oberlin from a window but she defends herself and escapes. When Denise Hemphill hears her screams, she leaves Shondell alone asleep and goes to the Kappa house. After Denise returns with Shondell, she finds her with a knife in her throat. The Kappa girls later find a note written by the Red Devil with blood in a room that says "SLUTS WILL DIE".
Scenes later, the Red Devil enters Boone's room and he is later found with his throat cut at the dinner table of the house of the Dollar Scholars fraternity. At the end of the episode, the Red Devil goes to the mortuary and opens a drawer where Boone's body is in. Boone later opens his eyes and the episode ends with him saying to the Red Devil "What took you so long?" taking his throat slashing make-up off, revealing that he is the Red Devil's ally.
Grace and Zayday are in a supermarket getting food for Kappa. When Zayday grabs some crisps, she is unaware of the Red Devil standing on the other side, when Grace goes over she that side to get sweets she turns around sees the Red Devil at the end of the aisle. In slow motion, she grabs her pink taser and the Red Devil runs towards her, Zayday knocks a shelf over to stop him. When the cleaner rushes and says "What the hell's going on?" Zayday says they caught a serial killer and she takes off his mask only to learn it's a guy she knows from class, Eugene Melman.
A scene follows Coney the new college mascot. He enters his room and the Red Devil appears behind him with a chainsaw. After a short fight, the Red Devil ends up killing him by cutting his head off with the chainsaw whilst the guy is still in Coney costume.
The Dickie Dollar Scholars organize a witch hunt, they start their witch hunt by getting baseball bats and yelling "Red Devil," they start smashing a red car in the middle of the street and the Red Devil appears with a chainsaw on one side and another person in a Red Devil costume appears on the other. The frat brothers fight the Devils which results in Chad being knocked out and Caulfield losing both arms which he survives.
Denise asks Zayday to join her in her car, Denise then handcuffs Zayday and says she found evidence about her, including a chainsaw under the bed which she says was given to her by grandma. Denise ends up letting her go. Zayday is then seen in her room with the chainsaw practicing how to get it out from under her bed if something happens, she receives a text and leaves the room with the chainsaw lying on the bed.
Gigi and Cathy are seen getting ready to go to bed, Cathy says she likes to sleep with a white noise machine on, and turns it on to different sounds on a high volume. Gigi ends up sleeping in the couch downstairs, the Red Devil then appears and starts the chainsaw and chases Gigi. Wes, who was asleep in his car hears her screaming and runs to help her, he gets his arm cut with the chainsaw, Gigi then flips one of the couches and knocks the Red Devil over. The Chanels and Sam run halfway down the stairs and Gigi tells them to call 911. Wes and Gigi then look over the flipped couch and see just the chainsaw running with no Red Devil. Cathy then appears and asks what's going on, Wes grabs the chainsaw and tells her not to take another step until the police arrive and claims she's the killer before the screen turns black.
Grace and Pete drive to a trailer which is owned by Mandy who is tells them about 20 years ago. In a flashback to 20 years, Mandy and her sorority sisters are forced to wear hoods while Cathy drives to a location to bury Sophia. While digging, Cathy says they should leave Kappa immediately and never contact each other again, they then throw her body in the hole. Back in the present, Mandy says one of the sisters killed herself, another was institutionalized and another made it into FOX News. She then reveals that the bathtub baby is a girl.
Later that night, Mandy is seen watching a horror movie when someone knocks at the door, she turns the volume down, grabs a bat and opens the door to find no-one. Soon she hears knocking all around the caravan from outside. She turns on the light and while looking in the mirror she sees the Red Devil behind her and they pull out a knife and she is heard screaming.
Denise says 53 Shady Lane is haunted and tells Grace, Pete, Zayday and Earl the story of 'The Hag of Shady Lane', the former resident of the abandoned shack, who took care of the bathtub baby in 1995.
That evening, Hester and Chad meet at the Shady Home to have sex, until Hester finds Ms Bean's body, which they think at first is a wax replica. That is until Hester puts her finger into her leg and they soon realize that it's her real body and start screaming and running and end up running into the bodies of Shondell, Aaron Cohen (Coney), Sonya and Mandy. At the haunted house, Zayday is kidnapped by the Red Devil.
In the Red Devil's lair, they open a door in the ground and Zayday is below and starts shouting before the door is closed.
Chanel punishes #5 by forcing her to light all of the pumpkins with her two boyfriends, Roger and Dodger. The Red Devil appears with hedge shears behind #5 when she's lighting a pumpkin, she screams and Rodger and Dodger run out of the maze and they both see the red Devil and they all run into the maze. Dodger ends up getting killed, Roger and #5 manage to get out and escape.
Grace, Pete, Wes, Gigi and Denise find The Red Devil's secret lair, where the Red Devil turns the power off leaving them in total darkness. Gigi, however, manages to taser The Red Devil, when the power turns back on, Denise runs to the others to tell them. But when they find aging, she says the Red Devil got up and hit her in the head with a baseball bat and escaped down a laundry chute.
Back at Kappa, Chanel tries to call the presidential election early due to Zayday and Grace's absences, however, Zayday appears and tells them what happened. The Red Devil let her out of the hole, gave her roses and treated her to her favorite food before stabbing them in the hand with a fork and escaping. Grace then returns and is happy to see Zayday. They then all get ready to vote.
Later that night, Gigi meets with the Red Devil, chastising him for the sloppiness of the Zayday incident, and telling him to murder an unknown male.
When the Dickie Dollar Scholars brothers arrive at Kappa with a ladder as all the doors and windows were locked, Chad climbs up and breaks the window and climbs in, when he looks out he sees the Red Devil and shouts at his brothers to climb up. Earl and Roger manage to, but Caulfield, having no arms, struggles to get up. When he makes a quarter of the way up, the Red Devil knocks over the ladder, causing Caulfield to fall and the Red Devil then stabs him in the chest twice with an axe before chopping his head off.
After Sam reveals Chanel #3's dark secret about her father being Charles Manson, she orders Sam to go down into the basement take a nap in the bloody Kappa bathtub. Sam walks down and when she's get to the bath, she sees there's blood and soon the Red Devil appears behind her and bangs her on the bathtub and lifts her into the bath. She asks them to take off their mask, which they do but we don't see, and says "I knew it" before they walk behind her and suffocate her with a plastic wrapper.
In Chanel's closet, Chanel #5 and Roger, who probably didn't hear the scream from earlier, are making out until Roger starts talking about how happy he is to be separated from his brother, Dodger. While he continues to talk, Chanel #5 sees the Red Devil behind him and Roger is shot 3 times with a nail gun and falls to the floor as the Red Devil continues to shoot him with the nail gun while #5 watches in horror. The killer continues to shoot him until they run out and they leave, #5 then screams.
Down in the tunnel, Chanel shows Zayday portraits of some of the pass Kappa presidents and tells her a bit about them. When discussing where they'll be, the Red Devil appears with two axes and chases them, with both of them narrowly escaping after Chanel saves Zayday. While running, Zayday falls and narrowly dodges the killer's attack, when cornered, Chanel hits the killer over the head and saves Zayday and they both escape.
The Kappa sisters start to dance in the living room with the Red Devil watching through the window.
After Feather finds Steven Munsch's severed head, Grace and Pete manage to link all the murders to Cathy and suspect her of being the Red Devil and is taken to an insane asylum. Grace and Pete share a kiss, thinking the whole Red Devil case is over, until Cathy calls Grace, asking her and Pete to come and visit her.
The following day in the asylum, she reveals she can't eat bologna because it would put her into anaphylactic shock. It occurs to Pete that the killer made a sandwich at the scene and had taken a bite out of it and they decide to find out what kind it was. Pete and Grace return to the scene to find out that it was a bologna sandwich, and thus, decide Cathy couldn't have been the killer. Eventually, Cathy is released from the asylum and reclaims her position as dean of the university.
After Chanel confronts The Chanels about their plot to kill her, she accuses Grace and Zayday of being the Red Devil.
When Dean Munsch returns home and takes a shower, the Red Devil appears with a knife and opens the shower curtain to find the shower empty. Cathy then appears behind them and bangs their head on the bath and says "I've seen that movie 50 times, I know what happens!" Before trying to call for help, when the killer regains consciousness, she runs towards her door only to find another Red Devil on the other side and when she's cornered, another killer in a Justice Scalia mask appears. She manages to evade their attacks until they flee.
When Jennifer is making another candle vlog, the Red Devil appears behind her and stabs her in the head. Whilst Denise and the Chanels are walking down the stairs, they smell burning and go to investigate it and discover Jennifer's body dead body covered in wax in the dining room and they scream in horror.
As the episode ends, Boone, who is wearing a disguise in a gym, speaks on the phone to an unknown person about Gigi's ridiculous Justice Scalia mask during the attempted murder of Dean Munsch, and stating that Gigi needs to be taken out so that their revenge can be fully accomplished.
After Denise tells the Chanels a ghost story, she enters a stall in the house and sees red toilet paper on her left and blue on her right. The Red Devil's hands appear at the top of the other stall, Denise looks up and sees the killer peeking over, she screams as the killer climbs over. There's a struggle as the killer grabs Denise by her hair and tries to dunk her head in the toilet, but she manages to fight back, causing the killer to bang their head and Denise to escape.
When Earl is walking towards the Kappa house with things for Zayday, the Red Devil appears behind him and stabs him the back. He falls to the ground and rolls over on his back. The killer takes off their mask to reveal themselves as Boone, before Earl slowly dies.
After hearing about Earl, Chanel #5 says it's not safe and leaves. When driving, a truck is heard honking their horn many times behind her until she reaches a gas station and pulls over. The truck driver gets out of his truck and #5 kicks him in the groin. He tells her that he saw someone in her backseat and he would flash his lights and honk his horn to make him hide. They walk over and see the backseat empty. Out of nowhere, the killer appears behind him and stabs him with a machete as #5 screams and rushes to her car and drives away while the Red Devil finishes the trucker off.
As the episode, Gigi meets with Boone and the Red Devil and Boone tells her it's time to go, the Red Devil pulls out a knife and rises it in the air as Gigi screams. Instead of killing Gigi however, the Red Devil suddenly turns to Boone and stabs him in the chest. A shocked and horrified Boone stares at the Red Devil and falls to the ground dead.
Gigi and the Red Devil are seen in a hotel room, Gigi complains about not being with Wes. There's a knock on the door and Gigi answers for room service, the bell boy sees the Red Devil and looks confused and she asks him for a carving knife. She and the killer look at the meal and are disappointed to see it's small, but she thanks the Red Devil for joining her for Thanksgiving. She asks them to carve the meal.
At the end, Chanel #5 brings in the turkey, and says it's heavier than she thought. She puts it on the table and Chanel thanks everyone for joining her for Thanksgiving and reveals the turkey, everyone screams as Gigi's severed head is on the platter instead of the turkey.
When the Chanels are in the mall, they find it empty and all the lights go out. They find a exit, Chanel #5 finds a door but it's chained on the outside, she tries to sequeeze through but can't, Chanel, Chanel #3 and Hester scream as #5 turns around and sees the Red Devil behind and she screams and they run down the escalator. They turn and see the Red Devil and see a half closed shutter and run towards it and go under, but Chanel stays behind thinking the killer is Dean Munsch. When face to face, she gets shot in the shoulder with a crossbow, causing her to shriek and cry in pain. When the killer reloads and aims, Denise and two cops appear. While Denise talks too much, the killer shoots one of the cops and escapes.
When Pete is packing, he receives a call from a unknown caller and tells them he's leaving and so should he. He also looks at the Red devil costume, hinting that he is involved. At the end of the episode, Grace tells Pete she's finally ready to have sex with him, but this time, Pete refuses. He tells her "I don't want your first time to be with a murderer."
In flash backs we see Pete donning the Red Devil costume killing Roger (Pete admits he didn't know if it was Roger or Dodger, stating the two were hard to tell apart) with the nail gun. He then admits to being the one in the costume who killed Boone, in an attempt to end the conspiracy/revenge plot. He also admits to being a part of the conspiracy to bring down the horrors of the American Greek system. Pete also tells Grace that she is safe from the killers, due to the fact that being their half-sister they don't want to kill her. He goes on to explain that he was also the killer at the mall and had killed the mall cop in self defense, Pete then says he took DNA from everyone in the KKT house to discover who Boone's twin and the other killer is. As he's about to reveal who she is, the Red Devil bursts out of the closet and stabs Pete in the back of the neck, killing him. The Red Devil then knocks out Grace after a brief struggle.
A pizza man is forced into the Red Devil costume with TNT strapped to his person, in an attempt to kill all the girls in the house at once. He is quickly subdued by the girls after he stops and is scared by the snake Chanel was attempting to kill herself with. He tells the girls he's going to explode and that he was attacked by someone in the costume, forced to wear it and then covered in explosives. The timer on his suit counts down from 5, stops for a second when it hits zero but then is blown completely apart. Strangely though, not destroying the cape or mask.
The beginning of the episode starts one month past the events at the KKT house, January 2016. It shows the remaining survivors of the house being Grace, Zayday, and Hester. Upon seeing Hester it goes into her own voiced over monologue of how she was able to successfully place the blame of her self-inflicted attack on the Chanels. We discover that the female baby in the bathtub was Hester all along. A back flash ensues showing us Hester's life in the asylum and determination of the plan. While sitting in a cafe discussing with Gigi that
the costume they wear should be as memorable as Jason's hockey mask or Freddie's sweater, the schools mascot walks in to make an announcement. Later that night they kill the original mascot so they can take the Red Devil costume.
At the end of the episode, the last we see is the Red Devil standing over the bed of Chanel with a butcher's knife in its hand, ready to stab her. Chanel screams and then it cuts to black.
The Red Devil appears at C.U.R.E Institute Hospital to scare Chanel, but it turns out to be Chad playing a prank on her. It is also revealed that Chad was the Red Devil who visited Chanel in the asylum at the end of The Final Girl(s).
Chanel Oberlin is now a TV doctor in a new television show called "Lovin the C". She enters a car, and inside, she finds a ring that has the words "KKT" as in Kappa Kappa Tau. While Chanel looks at this in confusion, the lights turn on and a new Red Devil is revealed to be in the backseat, and when Chanel sees them in the mirror, she screams, leaving her fate unknown.
- Main article: Boone-Red Devil Relationship
- Main article: Gigi-Red Devil Relationship
- Melanie Dorkus: Put hydrochloric acid in a spray tan machine and burned her skin off. She survived the attack. (Hester and Boone)
- Agatha Bean: Turned on the fryer so that her face would be burned during Chanel's prank. (Hester)
- Sonya Herfmann: Stabbed in the shoulder and head with a butcher knife. (Boone)
- Tiffany DeSalle: Decapitated by a lawn tractor. (Boone)
- Shondell Washington: Stabbed through the throat with a butcher knife. (Boone)
- Aaron Cohen: Decapitated with a chainsaw. (Boone)
- Mandy Greenwell: Stabbed multiple times with a butcher knife. (Hester)
- Dodger: Gutted with hedge shears. (Boone)
- Caulfield Mount Herman: Axed in stomach twice and then decapitated with the axe. (Boone)
- Sam: Suffocated with plastic sheet. The first victim to know their identity. (Unknown)
- Roger: Nailed three times in the head with a nail gun and then a bunch of nails are unloaded into his face. (Pete)
- Jennifer: Stabbed in the head with a butcher knife. (Boone)
- Earl Grey: Stabbed in the back with a butcher's knife. The second victim to know their identity. (Boone)
- Truck Driver: Hacked in the back and then stabbed in the stomach with a machete. (Boone)
- Boone Clemens: Stabbed in the chest with an army knife. The third victim to know their identity. (Pete)
- Gigi Caldwell: Head sliced off and placed on a platter. The fourth victim to know their identity. (Unknown)
- Mall Policeman: Shot in the forehead with a crossbow. (Pete)
- Chanel Oberlin: Shot in the arm with a crossbow, but survives. (Pete)
- Pete Martínez: Stabbed in the back of the neck and chest with a butcher knife. The fifth victim to know their identity. (Hester).
- Zak, the Pizza Delivery Man: Blown up from dynamite strapped to him. (Hester)
- Butcher Knife: Stabbed Sonya, Shondell, Mandy, Jennifer, Earl, and Pete Martínez.
- Hydrochloric Acid: Burned Melanie Dorkus' skin.
- Lawn Mower: Decapitated Tiffany.
- Chainsaw: Killed Aaron Cohen and cut off Caulfield's arms.
- Hedge Shears: Gutted Dodger.
- Axe: Killed Caulfield.
- Plastic Sheet: Suffocated Sam.
- Nail Gun: Killed Roger.
- Army Knife: Stabbed Boone.
- Machete: Killed the Truck Driver.
- Electric Carving Knife: Decapitated Gigi.
- Crossbow: Shot Chanel in the shoulder and killed an unnamed Mall Policeman.
- Dynamite: Blew up the Pizza Delivery Man.
Season One (12/13)
Season Two (2/10)
- Multiple people wore the costume, including three of the stunt performers, Paul O'Connor, Olga Wilhelmine and Ilram Choi, and the main actor behind the mask, Riley Schmidt.
- Paul O'Connor was the main Red Devil Stunt Double. He did the scenes where he killed Chanel #2, knocked out Pete in the office, killed Coney, fought with Gigi in the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority house, did the two Red Devil fight scene with the Dicky Dollar Scholars, cut Caulfield's arms off, killed Caulfield with the axe, and knocked down the christmas tree after killing the mall cop.
- Olga Whilimene was The Lady Red Devil. She did the scenes where she killed Boone, had Thanksgiving dinner with Gigi, killed Pete, had the fight scene with Grace, and knocked out Zak the Pizza Guy.
- Ilram Choi was one of the Red Devil Stunt Performers. He did the fight scene with Dean Munch where there are three killers, flipped in the doorway, and attacked Denise in the bathroom.
- Riley Schmidt was the main actor behind the mask and did simple scenes like running, walking, and working with prop knives and did anything comfortable if the stunt coordinator allowed it or if the stunt coordinator demanded it.
- Riley Schmidt also also portrays the Rubber Man in American Horror Story, a show also created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.
- The Red Devil costume took 5 months to make.
- The Red Devil was formerly the mascot of Wallace University, but Gigi Caldwell killed the person wearing the costume and then stole the costume. The Red Devil was later replaced by Coney as the school mascot.
- In Chainsaw, it is revealed that there are two Red Devils. This is later revealed to be Boone and Hester.
- In Pumpkin Patch, it is revealed that the Red Devil is in love with Zayday. It's later revealed that Boone was never gay but in love with Zayday.
- It is also revealed in the episode that Gigi Caldwell holds a place of authority with them.
- Sam and Earl are the only non-allies of the Red Devil who knew the true identity of the Red Devil. They discovered his/her identity before they died in Seven Minutes in Hell (Sam) and in Ghost Stories (Earl).
- Beware of Young Girls is the only episode in Season 1 in which the Red Devil does not physically appear. However, Gigi Caldwell communicates with him/her through a phone call.
- The Red Devils were unable to kill Dean Munsch, in fact they ended up getting bested by her.
- In The Final Girl(s), it is revealed that Hester is the female Red Devil and Boone's twin sister.
- In the "Who is the Red Devil Killer?" poll, 182 people thought it was Grace, 138 people thought it was Libby, 119 people thought it was Hester (which was correct), 90 people thought it was Melanie, 28 people thought it was Chanel, 27 people thought it was Chanel #4, and 4 people thought it was Zayday.
- Hester is the only surviving member of the conspiracy.
- Every deceased character that has worn the Red Devil costume was actually killed by another Red Devil (Boone was killed by Pete, Gigi was killed by Hester, Pete was killed by Hester, the original mascot was killed by Gigi, and Zak the pizza delivery man was killed by Hester). This is eventually subverted by Chad, who was killed by the Green Meanie.
- Hester and Eugene Melman also wore the costume, but they are still alive.
- In Warts and All, it is revealed that Chad Radwell was the asylum Red Devil. He sneaked into the asylum wearing the costume to scare Chanel. He also did the same in the hospital.
- Every member of the team, including Gigi, has killed a student at Wallace University. Boone killed all of the murdered students except for Roger, who was killed by Pete, Pete, who was killed by Hester, and the original Mascot, who was killed by Gigi.
- In Rapunzel, Rapunzel, a mannequin wearing the costume can be seen when Zayday is in Clark's fabric shop.
- In Drain the Swamp, as Chanel enters her car and sees an old Kappa Kappa Taur ring from her college years, the Red Devil once again appears behind her and screams in horror before the screen turns black. Due to the sudden cancellation of the series, it is left unclear whether Chanel survived or not, nor who this Red Devil might be. Even if it were Grace, who somehow escaped the asylum and wants to get revenge on Chanel, it is completely unknown.